The 6th East African Astronomical Society (EAAS) Workshop
15 – 22 May 2021, Venue: University of Dodoma (UDOM),Tanzania
“Astronomy for Science and Social Development”
The sixth East African Astronomical Society (EAAS) workshop will be held from 15-22 May 2021 at University of Dodoma (UDOM), Dodoma, Tanzania. The main objectives of the EAAS workshop are to promote and enhance the development of Astronomy in East Africa region, to create a platform in networking young and senior scientific communities so as to share their research findings as well as experiences. Consequently, the workshop provides an opportunity to establish regional and international collaboration in research, supervision and teaching of astronomy across the region. Prior to the EAAS workshop, the East Africa School of Astronomy (EA-SA) will provide training for undergraduate and postgraduate students pursuing programs related to Astronomy ahead of EAAS workshop. A total of 120 Participants physically and others virtually are expected to attend the EAAS workshop.45 participants are young career researchers who are attending the EA-SA school.
The Objective of EAAS workshop
- To discus on recent developments of scientific research outputs of Astronomy at regional level.
- To create an avenue for networking and sharing of experiences amongst young scientific researchers and experienced researchers in the areas of astronomy and space science.
- To promote and enhance the development of Astronomy in East Africa region and across Africa.
- To impart relevant knowledge to students and create opportunities for further research in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- To establish and strengths international and regional collaboration in research, supervision and teaching of Astronomy in the region.
Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC)
Dr. Noorali Jiwaji, Open University of Tanzania (OUT), Tanzania
Dr. Solomon Belay, Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute (ESSTI), Ethiopia
Dr. Mirjana Povic, ESSTI, Ethiopia
Prof. Edward Guinan- IAU-Villanova University, USA
Prof. Paul Baki – The Kenya Polytechnic University College, Kenya.
Dr. Edward Jurua – Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Uganda.
Prof. Ernst van Groningen – International Science Program (ISP), Sweden
Dr. Pheneas Nkundabakura – Kigali Institute of Education, Rwanda.
Mr. Alemiye Mamo, East African Regional Office of Astronomy for Development (EA-ROAD), Ethiopia
Local Organizing Committee (LOC)
- Dr. Noorali Jiwaji, Open University of Tanzania, Tanzania
- Said Ally , Open University of Tanzania, Tanzania
- Dr. Emmanuel Sulungu, University of Dodoma (UDOM)
- Dr. Stanley Mwanga, University of Dodoma (UDOM)
- Mr. Daudi Mazengo, University of Dodoma (UDOM)
Distinguished invited guests and speakers will be avilable from scientific community , collaborators and supporters (ISP, ICTP, OAD , SAAO, etc)
On average 120 participants are expected to attend the 6th EAAS workshop. Participants of the EAAS are coming from East Africa Region, hosting country, representative for West, East and North Africa countries, EA-SA students, invited speakers, international participants and supporters of EAAS.
Registration Opens: 15th February 2021
Abstract Submission Deadline: 15th March 2021
Grant Application Deadline: 20th March 2021.
For further query, please contact
Supporters and Sponsors